Good morning, blog!
It is delightful and sometimes downright shocking how different my weekends look now compared to when I was bartending. I used to live entirely for the weekend and everything that came along with it; drunken nights with friends, stuffing my bra with athletic socks in the freezer, eating the 2 for $2 corndog deal from the deli down the street, taking over the jukebox and playing Phantom of the Opera at midnight until the bar owner yells and blocks all showtunes from the index. Oh Eric, you cruel temptress. I'm so glad I was able to experience bartending, in a midwest college town if that tells you anything. Busch light in every shape and size as cheap as you can legally sell it, hillbillies and frat boys breathing down your neck, a group of blood-hungry bouncers that responded to pig calls across the crowded dancefloor, puking and rallying every hour on the hour, manning the outside bar solo with a cigarette in my mouth and a blade on my hip. God it was fun. Was being the key word here. If I had to clock in for another bar shift I think I would cry the entire time, which, I have been known to do behind the bar anyway...
So what did I get up to instead of pouring drafts like my life depended on it? With my partner away I was able to enjoy some solo time which consisted of buying cat food, trying my first diamond art craft from Five Below, and finally finishing season 6 of Love Island - yay Serena!!! Ordered pizza from a local joint and went grocery shopping at 10pm. It's move-in weekend for the college kids in town so I knew better than to even attempt to cross the tracks into the downtown area. Instead I took advantage of local surveillance efforts and watched the drunken debauchery unfold via the traffic camera website. Why surround myself with blackout nineteen year olds when I can tune into the excitement via the comfort of my couch? And with the comfort of my pizza - medium cheese, extra dough, extra cheese - get hip to it.
Come Sunday morning I'm hopping out of bed just before seven like Grandpa Joe with a pep in my step. Me? A morning person? With no alcohol in my system and recent stomach issues subsiding, it seemed possible! I've already done the dishes, cleared out all the forgotten/rotten food in the fridge and freezer, and started the deep cleaning process of Maple's water fountain. Going back to the cleaning out the fridge thing, that's something I'd like to be more mindful of as I approach my 30s, how much I'm wasting. I know it's not good, I said I was trying to be better, it's a process!!! Bartending had me on the opposite of a schedule and my eating (and drinking) habits certainly reflected that. I would buy quick things to eat that I just wouldn't, buy a bunch of ambitious ingredients for recipes I didn't have the energy for, rinse, repeat. But no more! My weeks pretty much look the same so I know now what to realistically plan for myself for breakfast and lunch, dinners can still be a fun surprise.
I'm sitting now with all the windows open and Jack Johnson's In Between Dreams album playing from my speakers, it is the textbook definition of a Sunday Morning Album. Give it a listen and take a minute to just...stop. Sit, wait, wish. Until next time. <3
No comments:
Post a Comment